Hey guys! I am psyched today because I feel so much better. I think I just had a 24 hour bug that is now out of my system. I’ve decided that since my immune system has been pretty low as of late, I need to do a little more to stay healthy and hygenic. My mom is a doctor but I am NOT into shots/ doctors visits at all. The last time I got the flu shot (well, I snorted the “flue shot”), I got the flu. Not impressed, western medicine; not impressed.
But my mom always tells me that there is a lot of preventative stuff I can do from home, which I now plan to do:
1) Gargle with salt water every morning and evening. This can kill a ton of viruses that are sitting in our throats before they are processed into our bodies.
2) Swab the inside of both nostrils with a q-tip dipped in the warm salt water mixture. This does the same as above, but for nasal passageways.
3) Wash my hands more often, especially before I eat ANYTHING.
4) Stop touching my face every 5 minutes. This is a bad habit I have had since childhood and all the articles I have read on the flu/ swine say that touching your face with your dirty hands is one of the easiest ways for bacteria to enter your system. No more!
5) Drink more warms liquids, teas, etc. throughout the day instead of cold. I have heard from a number of Tibetan doctors that cold liquids carry bacteria from our throats into our systems than warm water. They tell people to never drink cold water. Also, warm liquids just feel better on my dry throat during the winter.
6) Eat less dairy. I know that dairy can cause mucus to build up. Even though I knew I shouldn’t be eating lots of it, I have been in the last few weeks (as you have witnessed from my cottage cheese & granola obsession). I want to eat a lot less dairy until I feel that my sinuses/ throat have been completely cleared out.
So, I am going to try to stick with these. The great thing about a blog is that you can keep me accountable (well, except for swabbing my nostrils- I might not take pictures of that for you guys!).
Anyhow, on my day of rest yesterday, I was actually pretty hungry all day. My fever was mild and then gone, and lying around all day near the fridge is dangerous!
In the morning, I made a funny batch of oats….
Wednesday night, Loren brought me a glazed donut from this great, cheap shop in Brooklyn as a treat- but i had already brushed my teeth and was ready for bed, so I didn’t eat it. Yesterday, I didn’t want to eat the whole thing for breakfast (I knew I would crash from the sugar) so I decided to sprinkle half of it onto my oats.
With some flax seed- for health, of course :).
The verdict? Once it was all mixed in, I couldn’t really taste the donut. I kind of melted in there. I was sad. I should have just eaten it on the side…
I got hungry around 11 and had a baby bell cheese. When I am home all day, I try to be aware of my hunger… Am I hungry because the fridge is right there? Yes. What can I eat that is relatively healthy and will make my mouth happy? Light cheese!
Around 2, I got hungry for lunch and, for some odd reason, all I wanted was a warm bowl of pasta (comfort food, I guess). I knew I had this dangerous guy in the freezer…
These Amy’s bowls are so easy to make- good and bad for me. I don’t think pasta is bad for you or anything, but I do think its a lot of empty calories, and, let’s be honest, not all calories are created equal. This bowl of tortellini had 430 calories and would have kept me full for 1 hour. Maybe. So, I decided to eat half of the tortellini and mix in some more proteinous ingredients that would actually fill me up. EVEN THOUGH, all I wanted to do was eat lots of cheesy pasta!
I added a can of tuna and some garbanzos to the pasta, and it was actually pretty good!
Then I dumped the other half of the tortellini in the garbage. A waste, I know, but I know myself and I would have eaten the rest of the bowl absent-mindedly for snack.
Bad idea/ the half that got away:
I also had a crunchy Macoon apple with lunch. Yum!
And an organic lollypop… this picture is hilarious because it got turned on its side… and I have no iphoto on my computer to fix it… My camera is weird.
I was hungry around 6 pm and knew Loren wouldn’t be home until 8, so I made myself a refreshing smoothie for a light snack. I was dehydrated all day even though I was drinking and drinking (a sure sign I was fighting some sort of bug) and this hit the spot. It had 1/3 a banana, frozen blackberries, frozen mango, frozen strawberries, some almond milk and water.
It was the perfect amount to for one glass.
Loren came home with some goodies for dinner. He stopped at Whole Foods in Manhattan and picked up some of their chicken soup and a lots of veggies for a salad. I dressed the veggies in oil and vinegar and added some garbanzos and lentils. It was so fresh- Whole Foods knows how to do it!
For “dessert” I munched on some pineapple and berries (this x 2).
And then I gargled some delicious salt water and went to bed (and forced Loren to as well). It was an eventful night!